Re: quadra IDE

On 3/6/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> On 2/18/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

It seems the bad block (if that is what it is) is at the end of the disk.
Maybe try
# find X -xdev -false
where X is the hda12 mount point.

actually i found out that the partition table was
claiming the disk was bigger than it really was.
the last little piece of free partion was shorter
than the partition table claimed.

how i found out was putting the disk into an
external firewire box for copying over to
a free partition on my power mac. the ppc debian
gave a little more verbose information.

i think i "healed" it simply by starting up parted
(that is, still on the ppc with firewired disk) and
then quiting. parted read the actual correct size
and it defaults to write what it knows (you don't
tell it explicitly like mac-fdisk).

now i was trying with that to run aranym but
trouble, i could not tell if it was me or not, but
i am trying basiliskII next. it is back in unstable
now and it has had some recent upgrades works.

anybody else out there look at it ? you have to
get a little utility that copies the ROM off your mac.

i also tried netbsd on the quadra630 and it
was not really as rumored faster than debian, although
i did get an xserver going straight away (cool) some
other things were pretty weird.

i was thinkin about that debian-netbsd thing where they
are building debian around netbsd kernel. i suppose it
would work but not sure why. one thing is the bootloader
offers some more flexible options for 68k than
penguin.

brian