quadra IDE

On 2/18/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> i would say more detail but it would probably confuse you without a
> clear simple example. anyway i still am not sure my disk drive is
> perfectly fine, am planning replacement. (there are some errors from the
> drive at startup, although i don't get them with kernel 2.2, who knows
> ??)

Would be nice to see the error messages... Particularly if they happen on
the replacement drive too.

Still trying to clean up, but I got reminded about it as
I found this reference whilst build a ppc kernel last weekend. this is
in xconfig ----

Use multi-mode by default (IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE)

type: boolean
prompt: Use multi-mode by default
   dep: IDE && BLK_DEV_IDE

defined at drivers/ide/Kconfig:151

If you get this error, try to say Y here:

hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

If in doubt, say N.

------- That looks like somewhat like my errors, here is cut from my dmesg:

hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4219270,
sector=4219270
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 4219270
Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 527408
hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4219270,
sector=4219270
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 4219270
Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 527408

--------- I only get this twice at boot, and i have not seen it happen
later, it happens after
the initialization:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ide0: Macintosh Quadra IDE interface
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: SAMSUNG WN321620A (2.16 GB), ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x50f1a000 on irq 62
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 4219488 sectors (2160 MB) w/109KiB Cache, CHS=4186/16/63
hda: [mac] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12

----------- still, i works i am logged in now.

One more note, the video is a little finicky. i have an adaptor with
dip switches to
use a pc monitor. i had it set one way that worked, then i used it
with my quadra605
(above is my 630), i had to fool with the switches some. when i put it
back leaving
the switches in the new setting the macos was ok but when i booted
into linux the
screen went BLACK, before the penguin and stayed that way. i just put this in
for reference. i never put anything on the boot parameters for penguin
-- that is blank.
i think it is in the 832x624 mac res that is probably unsupported. whoops.