Re: quadra IDE

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> On 2/18/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Brian Morris wrote:
> >

> > > i would say more detail but it would probably confuse you without a
> > > clear simple example. anyway i still am not sure my disk drive is
> > > perfectly fine, am planning replacement. (there are some errors from
> > > the drive at startup, although i don't get them with kernel 2.2, who
> > > knows
> > > ??)
> >
> > Would be nice to see the error messages... Particularly if they happen
> > on the replacement drive too.
> >
> Still trying to clean up, but I got reminded about it as I found this
> reference whilst build a ppc kernel last weekend. this is in xconfig
> ----
>
> Use multi-mode by default (IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE)
>
> type: boolean prompt: Use multi-mode by default
>    dep: IDE && BLK_DEV_IDE
>
> defined at drivers/ide/Kconfig:151
>
> If you get this error, try to say Y here:
>
> hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> If in doubt, say N.

I think that would depend on the drive itself? I can't say I've tested it.
I'm still using the original drive in my 630, and I have that kernel
option disabled.

> ------- That looks like somewhat like my errors, here is cut from my dmesg:
>
> hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hda: task_in_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4219270,
> sector=4219270
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 4219270
> Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 527408
> hda: task_in_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hda: task_in_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4219270,
> sector=4219270
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 4219270
> Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 527408

Hmm. Is the block number the same when you reboot? If you wanted to,
debugfs will let you figure out what file or directory is using that
(logical) block. I suspect you could then generate an I/O to reproduce the
error at will.

> --------- I only get this twice at boot, and i have not seen it happen
> later, it happens after
> the initialization:
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
> ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> ide0: Macintosh Quadra IDE interface
> Probing IDE interface ide0...
> hda: SAMSUNG WN321620A (2.16 GB), ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x50f1a000 on irq 62
> hda: max request size: 128KiB
> hda: 4219488 sectors (2160 MB) w/109KiB Cache, CHS=4186/16/63
> hda: [mac] hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12

It seems the bad block (if that is what it is) is at the end of the disk.
Maybe try
# find X -xdev -false
where X is the hda12 mount point.

> ----------- still, i works i am logged in now.
>
> One more note, the video is a little finicky. i have an adaptor with dip
> switches to use a pc monitor. i had it set one way that worked, then i
> used it with my quadra605 (above is my 630), i had to fool with the
> switches some. when i put it back leaving the switches in the new
> setting the macos was ok but when i booted into linux the screen went
> BLACK, before the penguin and stayed that way. i just put this in for
> reference. i never put anything on the boot parameters for penguin --
> that is blank. i think it is in the 832x624 mac res that is probably
> unsupported. whoops.

Sorry, I can't say I've tested that mode either. But thanks for posting
your results.

-f