Re: Future of m68k - Etch and beyond

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
>
> > My question is now:
> > What is the *exact* plan for m68k for Etch and beyond?
>
> IMO as long as there are few people who have the power to veto m68k out
> of existence, I don't see much further hope for m68k within Debian. The
> absolutely worst mistake was to generally downgrade _all_ m68k specific
> bugs - m68k can't get a realease arch until the bugs are fixed and bugs
> don't get fixed if they are not serious and testing becomes useless for
> m68k. The really bad thing is that whose in power are not even open to
> discuss this [0]. :-(

I agree completely. I've fought political attempts to downgrade bugs
before (in gentoo's ppc-macos port. Fortunately, those in power were more
open to discussion.)

In Debian, it seems that the political cost of losing an arch is
insignificant compared to the political cost of a late release. (Well, it
helps to somehow spin the decision as "not killing" the said arch.)

-f