Re: ICE on linux-2.6 (2.6.18, official debs)

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> > toolchain-source is pretty much obsolete, use the gcc and binutils source
> > directly, both contain a README.cross on how to produce a cross compiler.
>
> Right, this works very well. I did use cross-tool for a while, as described
> somewhere on my webpages, but I switched to using the debian sources
> recently. The instructions are so easy to follow, that even I could set it
> up. But I am very interested to hear about the distcc setup. Did I
> understand it right, that every distcc needs one m68k box and a fast
> cross-compiler box?

Basically yes, but a single m68k machine usually doesn't keep a single
fast machine busy, so multiple m68k machines could share one
cross-compiler box.

> So even the slower macs could become really useful as
> long as they have decent network hardware?

Yes, but we maybe have to be a bit careful where to queue packages, it
only speeds up c/c++ compilations. OTOH it could free up the big machines
for the packages, which still need this, e.g. java, objc or haskell
packages. Cross compiling objc is possible, but it's not packaged yet, ghc
unfortunately uses -x a lot and also produces large generated files, so
it's a bit of a PITA to compile.

> Are the setup instructions somewhere?

It's not that different from other distcc setups. On the remote box edit
/etc/default/distcc, on the m68k box add the ip of the remote box to
/etc/distcc/hosts and you're ready to test it. With "DISTCC_VERBOSE=1
distcc m68k-linux-gcc -c hello.c" you can see if it works correctly and
you can also verify it by checking /var/log/distccd.log on the remote box.

Once that works it can also be made transparent using the instructions I
recently posted.

bye, Roman