Re: First package build with aranym+distcc+crossgcc

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:42:31AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear Debian 68k porters,
>
> I successfully build pari under aranym using distcc and gcc-cross
> running on the host.

That's good, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to rely on this. gcc
build systems have been known to break in regards to generating
cross-compilers, so if we switch everything to cross-compiling now, then
we're screwed the next time the build system breaks and the ABI changes
incompatibly (as happened around gcc-4.0).

Also, I'm hoping your crosscompiler is generated from the Debian source
package, not from anything else; if it wasn't, we get a distribution
that can't be reproduced by someone just looking at what's in Debian.
That would be a bug.

That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea to use this as a stopgap
measure or so when we're falling back again. As we are now.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22