Re: First package build with aranym+distcc+crossgcc

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 02:31:15AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:42:31AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Dear Debian 68k porters,
> >
> > I successfully build pari under aranym using distcc and gcc-cross
> > running on the host.
>
> That's good, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to rely on this. gcc
> build systems have been known to break in regards to generating
> cross-compilers, so if we switch everything to cross-compiling now, then
> we're screwed the next time the build system breaks and the ABI changes
> incompatibly (as happened around gcc-4.0).

This is true, however it seems we need faster buildd for stable releases
(for the security team) and close to release time (for the release
team). In both case we can expect to have working cross-compilers at
that time. When there is a new major GCC release it is a trivial matter
to disable distcc until the cross-compiler is polished.

In my opinion, if we do not show substantial progress in build speed to
the release team Debian/m68k is dead. This is independant of whether
faster builds are necessary to catch up.

> Also, I'm hoping your crosscompiler is generated from the Debian source
> package, not from anything else; if it wasn't, we get a distribution
> that can't be reproduced by someone just looking at what's in Debian.
> That would be a bug.

This is moot since this was built as an experiment and not uploaded.
However, I built the cross-compiler from the instruction in the file
debian/README.cross in the debian gcc-4.1 source package, so anybody
can recreate the cross-compiler from the Debian source.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large 68k swirl here.