Re: [buildd] Etch?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 07:16:20PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 06:53:12PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> >
> > > How soon? We'll need a little advance warning here. Getting Mac and Atari
> > > support for 2.6 into shape won't happen overnight.
>
> TLS support is also not existing yet, so it's not really urgent, but the
> sooner we get it working the better.
> My hope for dropping 2.2/2.4 and working TLS would be the next Debian
> release after Etch.

2.2 and 2.4 kernels will not be part of etch. They will be removed from the
installer and there will no be (official) kernel/linux images in etch. We
discussed this here a while ago, and we decided to drop 2.2. and 2.4 from
d-i to make arch requalification possible again, and d-i developement, a
little easier. This means, unless you have an Amiga or a Mac Q840AV, you
need to install sarge and upgrade from there.

Dropping support for 2.2/2.4 from glibc is something else, though. But
without TLS, whatever that is, we will be kicked out again as soon as etch
is released...

Christian