Re: booting 2.6.16-20060523 on my Macintosh Quadra 700

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Alex Teclo wrote:

> 2006/5/30, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>:
> >
> > I've built a 2.6.16.18 kernel with the Sonic ethernet driver but no
> > Mac II ADB driver. I tested it on my Q700 and it seems to have stopped
> > the crashes. Hopefully it will get you further, but bear in mind that
> > it may lack Debian's patches (the sources are based on the m68k repo).
> >
> >     http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/alex/
> >
> > I left the CUDA and IOP ADB drivers in, but the other ADB drivers are
> > not configured (since they've always crashed my macs in 2.4 and later
> > kernels). I'll try to debug them one of these days...
> >
> > -f
>
> Thanks a lot !

Happy to help.

> Here's the result: It boots without crashing.
>
> Networking is enabled (I can telnet and ssh). There are apparently no
> more problems related to the SCSI controller.
>
> Two things are missing:
> /dev/ttyS* support (but I don't need them)
> ADB (when I type, nothing happens. I have to telnet to the box)

Also broken is the real time clock (RTC) driver. And for older macs, the
mac_scsi driver needs work. Fixing mac_scsi and ttyS* will need driver
infrastructure that isn't yet in place. Fixing the ADB and RTC drivers is
on my todo list.

And we sorely need the DMA infrastructure committed to the repo so that
SONIC will work for everyone. Any news on this, Roman?

-f