Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

Moin,
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:36:03PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:

> I installed from the CD set (13 CDs labeled Debian 3.1 r1 m68k bin)
> using the StartInstall_clgen icon in the amiga directory.

I somehow missed the sage update, was about to ask where you got r1.

> >> Some information about my set-up: Amiga 2000, Blizzard 2060 with 64 MByte
> >> RAM and SCSI, Oktagon 2008 SCSI, X-Surf Ethernet, Picasso II graphics
> >> adapter.

Just a week ago installed I sarge (3.1r0a) on a very similar system and it
worked just great, as I already reported on the build list.

A2000, B2060, Ariadne2, PicassoIV, GVP SeriesII SCSI, and catweasel. The GVP
is causing trouble, the PicassoIV is not supported by the kernel yet (does
your PicassoII work? Maybe I should switch cards then). Seems you found the
right module for the Xsurf by now.

> >> The first observation was that the installer was not able to detect my
> >> Ethernet adapter (X-Surf). In my Woody installation, the card works with
> >> Kernel 2.4.27 with the zorro8390 module. Is there a way to repeat the
> >> network configuration after the base installation has finished?
> >
> > Do you mean after you rebooted into the new system?
> >

> Yes. Is there some special Debian configuration program or should I use
> a generic one like linuxconf?

You could just use a text editor of your choice, linuxconf is a little
overkill to edit /etc/modules (just add a line with zorro8390) and
/etc/network/interfaces, something like this:
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

Ok, three files, /etc/resolv.conf might need work.
search debian.org
nameserver 192.168.1.1

> Maybe you can add examples for adapter names in the list? Some other people
> may have similar problems to make a connection between the zorro8390 module
> and ariadne2 or X-Surf adapters.

That's probably (or should be) mentioned in the installation manual,
changing this behaviour would require changes in d-i, I guess?

> >> The partitioning program had problems with one of my SCSI drives. Two of
> >> them are connected to the Blizzard 2060 SCSI adapter (a 2 GByte IBM drive
> >> and a 4 GByte IBM drive). The one I had problems with is a 9 GByte
> >> Fujitsu drive connected to the Oktagon 2008 SCSI adapter. The installer
> >> was able to detect the drive and displayed size and drive type correctly.
> >> However, it did neither display partitions already present on the drive
> >> nor let me add new partitions.

Why don't you attach all drives to the B2060, it should be much faster.

> >> Later on in the installation process, the installer complained several
> >> times that it was not able to access the hardware clock.
> >
> > Amiga folks: is this a normal hardware thing?

That seems to be a "feature" of the 2.4.27 kernel, I think it did not work
for me either. Or at least it complained, it might have set the clock
anyhow. Now I am using 2.6.14, and hwclock works just fine. However, that
kernel only supports IDE controllers, I can not even load the module for the
b2060, have to try to fix that.

> >> When installing packages, the install process displayed an error message.
> >> It could not find the package "read-edid"
> >
> > That shouldn't happen: network or cd?
> >

> CD set

Happened for me too, but it did not break the installation.

Christian