Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:32:55PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:

> when installing Sarge (3.1r1) on my Amiga, I observed some issues. I want to
> share this information with you to give maintainers a chance to improve the
> install process.

Thanks.

What install method did you use? Which initrd? What command line?

Where did you get d-i from?

> Some information about my set-up: Amiga 2000, Blizzard 2060 with 64 MByte
> RAM and SCSI, Oktagon 2008 SCSI, X-Surf Ethernet, Picasso II graphics
> adapter.
>
> The first observation was that the installer was not able to detect my
> Ethernet adapter (X-Surf). In my Woody installation, the card works with
> Kernel 2.4.27 with the zorro8390 module. Is there a way to repeat the
> network configuration after the base installation has finished?

Do you mean after you rebooted into the new system?

It would be interesting to know whether modprobe zorro8390 from vt2 of
the installation would've gotten you a working network.

> The partitioning program had problems with one of my SCSI drives. Two of
> them are connected to the Blizzard 2060 SCSI adapter (a 2 GByte IBM drive
> and a 4 GByte IBM drive). The one I had problems with is a 9 GByte Fujitsu
> drive connected to the Oktagon 2008 SCSI adapter. The installer was able to
> detect the drive and displayed size and drive type correctly. However, it
> did neither display partitions already present on the drive nor let me add
> new partitions.
>
> The "partition a hard drive" menu item of the installer did not work either.
> It displayed a list of all three hard drives. When selecting a drive from
> the list, it jumped back to the list after a few seconds.
>
> Initially, I wanted to install Sarge on the third drive (9 GByte Fujitsu;
> one
> partition is already in use, so I could not erase the drive/partition table
> completely). The problems with the installer forced me to install on one of
> the IBM drives.

Interesting. I'd sure like to see the installation log files. Probably
in /var/log/installer of the new system.

> Later on in the installation process, the installer complained several times
> that it was not able to access the hardware clock.

Amiga folks: is this a normal hardware thing?

> When installing packages, the install process displayed an error message. It
> could not find the package "read-edid"

That shouldn't happen: network or cd?

> So much for my observations during the install process. I hope this
> information is helpful for someone out there. Please keep on working on the
> m68k port of Debian. I highly appreciate the ability to install Linux on my
> Amiga.

If you have the opportunity to install again, please send us an
installation report.

<http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.m68k/ch05s03.html#submit-bug>

Thanks,

Stephen