Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

Hi Christian,

On 16.01.2006, you wrote:

> Moin,
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:36:03PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
>>
>> I installed from the CD set (13 CDs labeled Debian 3.1 r1 m68k bin)
>> using the StartInstall_clgen icon in the amiga directory.
>
> I somehow missed the sage update, was about to ask where you got r1.

> Just a week ago installed I sarge (3.1r0a) on a very similar system and it
> worked just great, as I already reported on the build list.
>
> A2000, B2060, Ariadne2, PicassoIV, GVP SeriesII SCSI, and catweasel. The
> GVP is causing trouble, the PicassoIV is not supported by the kernel yet
> (does your PicassoII work?

The PicassoII works with the clgen driver, at least in text mode. I did not
get a chance to install XFree yet. Is it still necessary to use a
statically linked server with a 060 CPU or does the regular version with
module loading work now?

> Maybe I should switch cards then). Seems you
> found the right module for the Xsurf by now.

The zorro8390 module seems to work fine (at least it detects the adapter and
displays the MAC address). I could not really test the interface so far as
I am still searching for an easy method to configure networking.

>>> Do you mean after you rebooted into the new system?
>>>

>> Yes. Is there some special Debian configuration program or should I use
>> a generic one like linuxconf?
>
> You could just use a text editor of your choice, linuxconf is a little
> overkill to edit /etc/modules (just add a line with zorro8390) and
> /etc/network/interfaces, something like this:
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> iface eth0 inet static
>        address 192.168.1.2
>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>        network 192.168.1.0
>        broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> Ok, three files, /etc/resolv.conf might need work.
> search debian.org
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

Sounds feasible, I will try.

I am still under the impression that a Debian system and configuration tool
could increase the attractiveness of the distribution (especially for users
not considering themselves linux wizards).

>> Maybe you can add examples for adapter names in the list? Some other
>> people may have similar problems to make a connection between the
>> zorro8390 module and ariadne2 or X-Surf adapters.
>
> That's probably (or should be) mentioned in the installation manual,
> changing this behaviour would require changes in d-i, I guess?

> Why don't you attach all drives to the B2060, it should be much faster.

If I remember correctly, there were stability problems on the SCSI bus - too
many devices or cabling too long?

>>> Amiga folks: is this a normal hardware thing?
>
> That seems to be a "feature" of the 2.4.27 kernel, I think it did not work
> for me either. Or at least it complained, it might have set the clock
> anyhow. Now I am using 2.6.14, and hwclock works just fine. However, that
> kernel only supports IDE controllers, I can not even load the module for
> the b2060, have to try to fix that.

>>> That shouldn't happen: network or cd?
>>>

>> CD set
>
> Happened for me too, but it did not break the installation.
>
> Christian

Best Regards,

Peter