Re: how to install without d-i

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:11:26AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > glitches? My main working machine got installed Potato (or was it Hamm?)
> > > and I am dist-upgrading since then (running unstable now). Do I miss
> > > things compared to pure Sarge install?
> >
> > Well, your system is of course fully functional; it's just that it isn't
> > 100% FHS-compliant. I don't remember what I mean with the "along some
> > other glitches" part myself now, so let's just say it means something
> > along the lines of "there might be other things, dunno".
> >
> > In any case, a pure sarge install will not be the same as a pure
> > upgraded woody.
>
> That surprises me a bit...
>
> Isn't there any document that describes the differences?

Not sure. Could be.

> I have no plans to reinstall any of my machines for this. After all,
> Debian is well-known for never needing a reinstall, so it would be a
> pity if this changed.

Don't worry, there's no need to reinstall; but there _is_ a difference
between a freshly installed Sarge and an upgraded Sarge. The difference
is in cosmetics, so it's safe to ignore them.

> BTW, can't /media (already created manually a while ago) and /srv
> (what's the purpose of that one?) be created during upgrade, just like
> with adding new ids to passwd?

There was a reason why that was not possible (or not a good idea). I
don't recall it, however (I'm not the maintainer).

pavement is precisely one bananosecond