Re: how to install without d-i

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 10:11:26AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > In any case, a pure sarge install will not be the same as a pure
> > upgraded woody.
>
> That surprises me a bit...
>
> Isn't there any document that describes the differences? I have no plans to
> reinstall any of my machines for this. After all, Debian is well-known for
> never needing a reinstall, so it would be a pity if this changed.

You don't need to reinstall, everything should still work, but with a
reinstall some things will work better. A few examples I experienced, which
are probably of no consquence for m68k. The current fvwm does not like my
config anymore (which is actually worse), so I am using gnome now on new
installations. gnome on new installations often shows a CD or USB stick on
the desktop when it is inserted in the machine, whereas on old installs that
did not work. Also I can see all the samba exports on my network straight
from the "Computer" or "Network" symbol, I never got that work on an old
installation. Not that I tried much, I don't have much use for samba.

> BTW, can't /media (already created manually a while ago) and /srv (what's the
> purpose of that one?) be created during upgrade, just like with adding new
> ids to passwd?

Sure you can create /media by hand and change your fstab accordingly. I
don't think it makes a difference. Not sure if it is done automatically.

I have a /srv directory? It is empty...

Christian