Re: quickstep back up

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:28:01PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op do, 27-01-2005 te 14:07 +0100, schreef Christian T. Steigies:
> > Moin,
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:39:30PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > >
> > > It took way longer than I would've wanted, but I finally got where I
> > > should've been for a loooong while: quickstep is back up and running,
> > > using the SCA disk Christian sent me, and an SCA adapter I got from
> > > someone Andreas Barth knew.
> >
> > Can you tell me a few more details how about how that worked out, maybe in
> > PM?
>
> I hooked it up, it worked. Nothing special...
>
> Should note that it got detected as sda, not sdb; and according
> to /proc/scsi/scsi, sda is SCSI ID 0. The mac hard disk which is in
> there is SCSI ID 1 (I had it like that for a while already, since my
> previous 9G hard disk was configured to be SCSI ID 0, too, and I
> couldn't find the jumper to change that). Perhaps that might help?

I'll try again when I find the time, but I was less lucky. Maybe I didn't
use the right SCSI options for the kernel, I think it worked for a little
while before SCSI errors came up. But its been a while...

> Does it work if you ignore the disk from AtariOS and partition it for
> Linux use only? You could then keep the 0.4GB SCSI disk to boot the
> AtariOS bits you need to boot Linux, and boot Linux from the 40GB disk.

In the long run, I want to close the case again. And since it is basically a
C64, just a little larger, there is only room for one 2.5" disk, SCSI or
IDE.  I think I could in principle boot from floppy, too, but I'd rather
make use of the HDD, there should be enough space for a TOS partition.

> Oh, and besides, I don't use procmail. I prefer exim's builtin filtering
> capabilities :-)

Maybe you can give a talk about that at the next meeting in Oldenburg? I
think it is worth learning about different ways to achieve a goal.
And what I wanted to ask for some time, how is your colour HP doing, are you
still happy with it? Did you have to replace the toner, are the costs for
that reasonable? I am so tired of deskjets, I just want a working printer
and not dirty fingers...

Christian