Re: Testing 2.4.x or 2.6.x kernels on Amiga

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:47:51PM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 09:56:51PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
[...]
> > So I decided to go back to kernel 2.2.20, which gives me a better
> > performance so far.
>
> Please try 2.2.25, available in sarge/testing. I am not sure if the clgen
> driver is newer there, but this is the latest 2.2 kernel for debian.
>
> > clgen: Driver for Cirrus Logic based graphic boards, v1.4 ?
> > clgen: Picasso II board detected;  RAM (2 MB) at $200000,  REG at $ec0000
> > clgen: This board has 2097152 bytes of DRAM memory
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> > fb1: Amiga ECS frame buffer device, using 640K of video memory
> >
> > Maybe someone with experience with clgen can take a look at them and tell me
> > if he sees something strange. I am still wondering what I can do to get
> > around the problems with the graphics driver. Seems to be a software
> > problem, as the same hardware works perfectly under AmigaOS (no flickering
> > pixels, no inverted pixels when text is scrolled,...).
>
> 2MB is not a lot of memory, are you sure your video mode fits in there? With
> 1024x768 you can not go higher than 16-bit. Other than that, no idea, I do
> not have a clgen card. Actually, I have no (working) video card in my A2k
> anymore...
>
> Christian

It was either 2.2.20 or 2.2.25 which cleared up the debugging messages
when using the clgen driver.  Just as a data point, I have an EGS
Spectrum card, which does not have this problem.  I don't think that it
is making use of the hardware scrolling though.

I am running a home compiled 2.4.27.  The clgen driver I'm using (from
my dmesg):
clgen: Driver for Cirrus Logic based graphic boards, v1.9.9.1
clgen: CL Spectrum board detected;  RAM (2 MB) at $800000,  REG at
$ec0000
Cirrus Logic chipset on Zorro bus
clgen: This board has 2097152 bytes of DRAM memory
Cirrus Logic video mode: 8 bit color depth
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37

Kernel command line:
root=/dev/sdb3 video=clgen:monitorcap:50;100;30;54,mode:800x600

This works with both the console and with X.

--Lance