testing kernel-image 2.6.8-amgia

Hello,

I grabbed kernel-image-2.6.8-amiga_2.6.8-1_m68k.deb from
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/ and tried it out
on my Amiga 2000 with GVP 030 card w/16M + scsi.

I was not successful with this kernel.  Notes so far:

1. I installed the archive via dpkg -x as root user from the /
directory. Is this the recommended way?

2. Amiboot would not decompress the kernel without error.  I had to gzip
-d the kernel image in /boot and copy to the Amiga paritition to boot.
I did learn here that kernels are compressed with gzip during the normal
make process.  I'll grab the specific Amiboot error message next time.
I do remember reading about this issue before, hence why I tried the
uncompress kernel image.

3. I first tried to boot with the console on my EGS Spectrum card.  This
did not work, and I later noticed that the clgen support is via a module
that I did not have in my /etc/modules.  I'll try that again later.

4. The kernel did boot, but since the clgen module was not loaded, my X
console support was not available.

5. The tftp support was not thier either, as I could not get my
X-Terminal to find its boot files from the Amiga.  Possibly not any
networking?  I use a 2065 card, which is set up as a module from
/etc/modules to indicate loading.  I would have expected this module to
load.  Telnet in didn't work either.

6. The boot continued to a console login window.  When I tried to enter
username/password, I discovered that the key mappings were, um, bizarre.
Now, note that I'm trying to boot the 2.6.8 into a working 2.4.27
environment.  Perhaps there is a new keymap file I need to select (hint
please)?

7. It seems that partitions did mount correctly though.

8. Because of keyboard issues a 3 finger salute was required to return
to AmigaDos to try again.

--Lance
LanceTag at Luminet dot net