Re: d-i problem with Penguin-19.sit

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 05:59:41PM +0200, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm just trying to install Debian on a Quadra 650 with the d-i beta4 and
> daily cvs snapshot. Both have only a Penguin-19.sit which cannot be
> unpacked on my Mac for there's no StuffIt installed. All my efforts to
> get some old m68k MOS 7.5 StuffIt installed have failed so far.

A little bit of googling found me a few stuffit*.sit files, but it seems
they are not executable on a mac. However this site still seems to have
stuffit in sea format, as well as a few others:

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/util/compression/00index.txt

When I installed my mac, I think I used this website and fixed my disk a few
times by hooking it up to a PC and running an emulator. Might be useful,
since it has a diskimage (for the emulator) with stuffit on it:

http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/basiliskII/system753_tutorial/linux/

Other important pages are of course http://www.jagshouse.com/PeeCee.html and
http://lowendmac.com/
Guess I should start with a sarge FAQ and add a few more links.

> Thus please, could anybody provide me with a format that i can burn onto
> CD and then try to install Debian with d-i? (maybe on the release CD
> this should also be supplied in expanded version)

If all that does not help, maybe you can try this:

http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/misc/Penguins.sea

Should be selfextracting and contains the three latest Penguin versions.
Please tell me if it works, I spent a few hours on this already...
I am not sure if we can include that on a CD, since I used a non-free
program to create that archive.

> Btw. the README.txt states that /tools/ and /install/floppy/ would be
> holding all binaries i need to get the job done. Neither of those
> directories is on my netinstall CDs and thus no StuffIt in there either.

That README was probably written for i386. If you have suggestions how to
improve the readme, send it to this list, it might still be included in
sarge.

Christian