Re: Debian Sarge Installation Manual

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> V ?t, 05. 08. 2004 v 15:51, Richard Zidlicky píše:
> > > loaded it at one place in FastRAM but passed different values to the
> > > kernel that would match the linux PMMU setup it could work?
> >
> > Allocate fastram, get the physical address of every allocated page
> > (ptestr on 68040, plpar on 68060), sort by physical address and write
> > the image to the memory so it is contiguous in physical memory.
> > Perhaps you could use smart shortcut if TOS pages are guaranteed
> > to be contiguous, perhaps not. That has to be done in the booter,
> > the kernel no longer sees the previously active translation tables.
>
> This has been clear to me. The question was what to pass to the kernel
> in the bootinfo struct so it would find the ramdisk. Does the bootinfo
> contains physical addresses? If it did then loading ramdisk to fastram

Yes, they are physical addresses.

> would work since TOS maps FastRAM 1:1. But it doesn't work.

Perhaps it's overwritten somewhere? If you start ataboot with the debug option
(probably -d, that's the option for amiboot), it should print the addresses
where the ramdisk is copied to.

You do have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y?
Does the kernel print the ramdisk addresses during boot up (cfr.
arch/m68k/kernel/setup.c)?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds