Re: FW: Call for m68k/atari debian-installer testers

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:41:54PM +0200, Kars de Jong wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 15:24, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> > Whoa, hp300? I didn't know that subarch ever had a fully supported
> > kernel. Is it worth adding full debian/d-i support?
>
> It doesn't have a fully supported kernel yet.
> I've written a TFTP boot loader for it, and added "normal" m68k bootinfo
> support, so I'm getting pretty close.

Cool.

> What does debian/d-i support mean? A partioner? Since I don't have a
> driver for the SCSI controller yet, that's not going to make much sense
> ;-)

I mean kernel images and m68k subarch detection used in debian-installer
to select things like partitioner, keymaps, and such.

> I have no idea... the installation manuals for testing and unstable both
> mention untarring the root archive named root.tar.gz for this, but I
> can't find this archive anywhere.
>
> Other systems which support net booting like sparc or mips don't seem to
> have it either, so I guess this is some leftover from the past.
>
> Normally an NFS root is just a freshly installed base system, not
> flavour-specific. What I expected to be able to do was to mount my NFS
> filesystem from the installer and then use that as the installation
> target instead of a disk partition. But the installer really seems to
> dislike not having any disks...

Sounds like nfsroot hasn't actually been implemented in d-i yet. It'll
certainly happen sooner or later. I put it on my list to check into once
I get m68k ported.

You can create a fresh base system with debootstrap (that's actually
what d-i uses).

<stephen@marenka.net>