Re: Installing an Amiga 3000T

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 19:32, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 13:14:53 -0400, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>
> wrote in message <[🔎] 20030907171453.GA30721@gleep.home>:
> > On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:25:22PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > > - Woody installer:
> > > 	- Woody's install kernel (2.2.18 or 2.2.20 IIRC) seems to be a
> > > 	  *bit* unstable. After the installation started off
> > > 	  successfully, d(e)bootstrap and their childs may SIGSEGV'ed or
> > > 	  SIGBUS'ed...
> >
> > SIGSEGV sounds like a broken FPU/MMU to me, but I'm no expert in that.
>
> ...or like non-working code wrt. caches at context switch time.

Sorry, but that kind of trouble is unlikely. I'm pretty sure there are
(or at least were) quite a few people using a 68040 and 2.2.x kernels.

I have a 68060 myself which has even bigger caches and it's been a quite
a while since that kind of trouble still existed in the kernel.

> > > - Potato install kernel + Woody root.bin
> > > 	- Oopses some time after I've started to install the base
> > > 	  system while accessing 0x00000023 (-> seems to reference some
> > > 	  struct element...)
> >
> > Shouldn't happen, the woody kernel works fine for me.
>
> 8^D Maybe there's some bug in the swapping code. I had something like
> that on MIPSel, too. Some shift value wasn't correct, but I fear I'm not
> yet deep enough into m68k/linux to investigate this...

Again, very unlikely. You may or may not know that m68k was one of the
first ports of Linux (back in 1.x or even 0.99 days).

> > > 12+2, but not sure:)
> >
> > 12 Chip sounds a little much, 12 Fast sounds a little little, do you have a
> > swap partition?
>
> Of course:) Would you offer to do a test for me? I don't want to ruin
> your uptime, but if you're booting your box the next time, could you
> please add 'mem=9M' (or rip it off if m68k doesn't handle this) to see
> if the box is stable while going deeply into swap (start a gcc-3.3 or an
> apt-get update). 9MB should be what's remaining after initrd got
> decompressed. I'm really interested in the result here...

FYI, I run Linux/m68k on a VME crate at work which only has 8 MB of
memory. Works fine, if not a bit slow ;-)
And I have installed Woody on it. It's painful, it's slow, but it does
work.
I also run apt-get update regularly...

I'm affraid that a hardware problem is a FAR more likely cause of your
problems. Linux is/was notorious for being much more 'critical' on
problematic hardware.

Kind regards,

Kars.