Re: Installing an Amiga 3000T

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 08:26:19PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-09-07 13:14:53 -0400, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>
> > wrote in message <[🔎] 20030907171453.GA30721@gleep.home>:
> > Geert volunteered to build me a kernel and I'll have a try with that.
> > Unfortunately, I've not yet a m68k-linux cross-toolchain, so I can't do
> > it myself right now.
>
> apt-get source toolchain-source and friends :-)

Only that the current version does not build... at least last time I tried
(couple of months ago).

> > Well, where can I get more RAM? Ebay? I'll have a look (I know that
> > Linux with a lot of swapping isn't much fun, though...).
>
> You need ZIPs for A3000. And the motherboard is still limited to 16 MB.

ZIP, yikes, not sure if I have some of those somewhere. If you need the
regular 32MB PS2 SIMMs (the only way to get 128 on an Amiga), I ordered them
(and the mem for a couple of the debian/m68k machines) at 18004memory.com.
Very good prices and no problems with the mem. Try pricewatch.com for more
dealers. I just ordered SODIMMs at memoryx.com, they have good prices, but I
haven't received them yet. I do have a bunch of 8MB PS2 FPM(?) modules from
the Quadra upgrade, if they could help you (and I'll be in germany in two
weeks).

Yup, Blizzard2060@50MHz

> > Of course:) Would you offer to do a test for me? I don't want to ruin
> > your uptime, but if you're booting your box the next time, could you
> > please add 'mem=9M' (or rip it off if m68k doesn't handle this) to see
> > if the box is stable while going deeply into swap (start a gcc-3.3 or an
> > apt-get update). 9MB should be what's remaining after initrd got
> > decompressed. I'm really interested in the result here...

No, sorry, I do not reboot unless a poweroutage lasts longer than my UPS can
handle. This is a buildd. Maybe next year, when the machine is back in
germany.

Christian