Re: Installing an Amiga 3000T

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:51:07PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > Oerks... I'd first look into the box to see what sockets I find there...
> > Okay, there are no PS2-style sockets. I found some vertically standing
> > RAM chips (I don't know their name) near the CPU card (this is an Amiga
> > 3000 T) and some ICs that on the CPU board itself.

Yep, they are ZIPs (Zig-zap) aka SIPs.

> > The sockets on the mobo itself seem to be all filled. (I remember I've
> > ripped off some kind of RAM card out of an A2000. It this compatible?)
>
> Should be supported, but I don't think you want to use that. Somebody
> explained it recently. I have a GVP-SeriesII card, if I use the 8MB which
> are onboard, the Amiga crawls. No fun. Plus I think it might use the same

Zorro II RAM cannot be used as system RAM on machines with Zorro III (e.g.
A3000/A4000), but you can use it as fast swap space with the z2ram driver.

> address space, where you 16MB is located, so no extra mem for you. IMHO you

A3000 motherboard RAM lies outside Zorro II space, so there's no conflicts.

> need a turbocard which can address extra (FAST) memory.

Or a Zorro III card with RAM expansion (e.g. Fastlane or A4091 SCSI, IIRC).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds