Re: problem getting RPC to work...

Erik,

     I got it to load portmap, but only with a kludge, I'm sure there is a
better way to do it,
but in /etc/rcS.d directory, there is a file called S45mountnfs.sh, (it may
not be S45 on your system) and in that file is where it will mount remote
file systems if there are any in /etc/fstab.

     If there are remote file systems in /etc/fstab, then it'll start
'portmap' first, and then mount them. If there are not nfs entries in the
/etc/fstab, then it doesn't do anything, and portmap never gets started. (At
least, I couldn't find anything else that'd start portmap during the boot
process).

     So, I just doctored that file so that 'PORTMAP=yes' is set near the
beginning, instead of 'PORTMAP=no' and then even though it doesn't find any
remote file systems to mount, it'll start portmap anyway.

     Of course, if you want to just mount some remote directory, set that up
in your /etc/fstab and at your next reboot it'll be launching portmap for
you anyway.

    Others on this list, please let me know if I'm seriously mucking
anything up, it's just that portmap seems to be needed by nfsd, but wasn't
being loaded anywhere but in the above file.

HTH,

George