problem getting RPC to work...

Hi all,

    After having trouble booting with the kernel-nfs (It would hang when launching the nfsd) I have now tried the non-kernel user nfs, and it's giving me an error message that I think points to what's wrong, but I don't know how to fix it.

    It's telling me that RPC: Connection Refused.

    Doing some man page perusing, and trying 'rpcinfo -p' I get:
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused.

    Is it clear that I'm trying to do this on the localhost?

    Looking in inetd.conf, I see a place where RPC calls should go, but there is nothing there. Did I miss something during install? How do I startup RPC so that when it gets to loading nfsd it'll work?

Ideas?

Thanks,

George