Re: Fw: Debian Linux on an old macintosh

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:00:06AM -0600, George Bingham wrote:
>     Now my linux mac will try to mount a CD, but I havn't actually gotten it
> to work yet. The only CDs I have for it to try to mount are CDs that I've
> burned via my PC. I burned them into ISO 9660 format, which I assumed would
> be readable on the mac, but the mac (running linux or macOS) can't make any
> sense of them. What I am thinking is that these old cdrom drives may not be
> capable of reading cds burned at home. Have you had any luck with your mac
> reading CDs that someone burned? If not, can you use this cdrom to listen to
> music via Linux? what do you use?

Well, I honestly don't use any of my 68k Macs for anything at all
other than to mess around with the Linux kernel. I know that many
early CD-ROM drives had trouble with CD-R and CD-RW media. You
should definitely avoid CD-RW in any drive that old, but CD-R
works in all but the very first generation of CD-ROM drives. I
can't test on mine, since my IIfx seems to be dead at the moment,
and I don't have anything else setup. When I did have it running,
I didn't happen to try anything other than commercial CDs in
the CD-ROM drive (an Apple 300e, on the external SCSI port).

>     I don't even have sound configured yet, so the music CD probably isn't
> that important, but I'm just curious.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sound isn't supported yet.
Common theme, isn't it?

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com