Installing with new kernel possible?

I'm having a hard time installing Debian (potato or woody) on my LC III equipped with an Apple (Sonic) LC Ethernet card. I'm now attempting to install with a newer kernel rather than the base linux.bin that comes with the iso images. The installer works fine up until "Configure Device Driver Modules". When installing with the 2.2.20 kernel, a problem screen appears saying "No modules were found in the /target/lib/modules/2.2.20 that could be configured. Please install the modules first."

Any ideas how to get around this, or if it's even possible?  I have the modules-2.2.20-20011202.tar.gz in the same directory as the kernel (Mac OS FS). Do I replace root.bin with something else?

Thanks in advance, Brad