Re: Fw: Debian Linux on an old macintosh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Boyer" <flar@pants.nu>
To: "George Bingham" <georgebingham@swbell.net>
Cc: <debian-68k@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Debian Linux on an old macintosh

> On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:59:24PM -0600, George Bingham wrote:
> >    I am doing the mount /dev/fd0 /floppy (The entries in fstab fill in
the missing pieces of
> > that command) but it comes back with :
> >
> > The kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device.
>
> That's because there isn't a driver for the floppy controller. In fact,
> there isn't a working driver for floppies on any 68k mac, tho there
> is code for the IIfx and Quadra 900/950 that doesn't work. The AV
> macs will probably be the last to be supported, since they supposedly
> have a completely different controller from any other mac model.
>
> >    And when I try the same thing for the cdrom, I get:
> >
> > Special device /dev/cdrom does not exist.
>
> That probably means that you need to make /dev/cdrom a symlink to
> the correct device. I assume you have a SCSI CD-ROM drive, in
> which case you need to make /dev/cdrom a link to /dev/scd0.
>
> ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
>
> I'm not sure, but the installer probably defaults to IDE.
>
> Brad Boyer
> flar@allandria.com
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Thanks Brad,

    Now my linux mac will try to mount a CD, but I havn't actually gotten it
to work yet. The only CDs I have for it to try to mount are CDs that I've
burned via my PC. I burned them into ISO 9660 format, which I assumed would
be readable on the mac, but the mac (running linux or macOS) can't make any
sense of them. What I am thinking is that these old cdrom drives may not be
capable of reading cds burned at home. Have you had any luck with your mac
reading CDs that someone burned? If not, can you use this cdrom to listen to
music via Linux? what do you use?

    I don't even have sound configured yet, so the music CD probably isn't
that important, but I'm just curious.

Thanks for your help,

George