Re: Installation Problems on IIvx

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:04:38PM +0000, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> now I have gotten a new old IBM DPES-1080 and the MacOS (version
> unknown) installed on the first Disk (47 MByte) have found it.
>
> But I can not format it ore something like this...

If you're using the default Apple software to format it, they
put in a list of supported drives, and won't accept anything
else. There is a hacked version available if you look around
that can format other drives.

> Now in a previouslly mail someone has written, that I need the
> MacOS to install Debian...

Well, to be honest, you need the MacOS to run Linux on any
m68k based Macintosh, because the only way to boot Linux is
with Penguin, which is a MacOS program.

> Question:   I have no MacOS and need to know, which Version I
>             must have minimal...
>
>             Maybe I will get it on <http://www.eBay.de/>...

Which version you need will depend on the hardware you're using.
Many Macs will be fine with 7.1, but 7.5.5 has a lot of fixes
for various problems, and also comes with TCP/IP support in the
MacOS so you could download stuff if you needed. Anything up
to 7.5.5 is available for free from Apple's download site.
If you want 7.6 or higher, you'll need to find it for sale,
but it doesn't work on many of the older models. System 7.5.5
supported everything from a Mac Plus up to all of the early
PowerMac hardware. In 7.6, they dropped support for the models
that weren't 32 bit clean (68000 chips plus the II, IIx, IIcx,
SE/30, and LC). With 8.0, they dropped support for the 68030.

> Question 2: Is there no possibility to install Debian without
>             the need of the MacOS ???

Nope. None at all, unless someone figures out how to boot
directly off the ROM, which is unlikely.

>             I think it ist the same as someon tell me, I need
>             WinXP to install Debian...

They were definitely wrong about that. It's easy to install
Debian on a standard x86 machine without any other software
installed, including Windows. The difference is that PC
hardware is well understood, and has a clearly defined boot
process. An old Mac has a large piece of the OS in ROM, and
doesn't have a cleanly defined separation between the
hardware and software.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com