Anyway to network my old mac without appletalk?

Hi all,

   I have a quadra 660 AV that I'd like to turn into a linux powerhouse machine... ;-0

   I have a small home ethernet that just consists of a DSL modem hooked to a SMC Barricade. My mac has ethernet and can see the barricade, but I can't figure out how to get it to see the rest of the internet from there. Maybe you have to buy something else from Apple (or any third party) to enable actual internet access via TCP/IP and ethernet without AppleTalk.

    I have System 7.5.3 and am currently in the process of downloading (by 28k modem) the update that'll take it to system 7.5.5, and I plan on doing the same for the Network Access Disk (as related in a previous post), but I am thinking that won't get me anywhere since I won't have an appletalk network still.

    Any tricks or workaround anyone know about? Or just advice on what to buy?

    Maybe I won't need anything once I get debian on my system, then the linux box will see the internet right??

Thanks,

George