Re: X Windows (woody) and M68K problem

Hi there, Chris

On 28-Oct-02, you said:

CT> There might be some magic boot argument or such, but here's one way
CT> I know:
CT>
CT> Use your install disk to boot the installer. Switch to console 2,
CT> or spawn a shell. Mount the root partition, for the sake of illustration:
CT>
CT> mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
CT>
CT> Then cd /mnt/etc/rc2.d and ls. You should see something like S20xdm
CT> among the files.  Just rename it, I would use
CT>
CT> mv S20xdm NotS20xdm
CT>
CT> Then quit the installer and reboot, xdm will be prevented from starting up.

OK - thank you - that worked, and I managed to boot to the console and, after a
fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing with dselect and dpkg, I managed to get the
full update installed and configured error free (eventually).

Now I have a more serious problem. After dumping xdm, and opting for gdm (which
was always more stable under 2.2) I attempted to start X Windows again. No go -
but I think it's just a config problem - which I should be able to sort out.
The real problem started after I powered down to give myself a break from it
for a while.

Now, when I restart linux, it boots the kernal, and tries to start X Windows,
eventually fails (owing to the aformentioned config problem) and leaves me at
the console login. So, login name and password go in - and the system crashes.

About 50% of the time, I could use the install script to start linux, switch to
the console (Alt - F2), mount the linux partition from there and execute a
chroot and su to give me full control again. However, this is becoming less and
less likely to work, too. The last 5 or 6 attempts have failed. As soon as I
execute the chroot, the system crashes.

I've had a good look around the net and can't find an answer to this one, and
not being able to login means I can't do very much at all at the moment. Does
anyone have any ideas what may be causing this and how to fix it? It's only
appeared since upgrading to Woody.

I've spent the last 4 hours trying to resolve this myself, and now I'm tired,
and more than a little fed up. :o(

Regards

Steve
--

Die!
-- Worf, "Star Trek: The Next Generation, (Deja Q)"