Re: boot-floppies 3.0.24 (fwd)

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 21:46, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:14:59PM -0500, Ray Knight wrote:
> > For some reason Woody's X on the 68K Macs appears to be eating the
> > Control-Option-Delete and Control-Option-Fx key combinations before
> > passing them on to the kernel.
>
> /me scratches head
>
> Uh, you've got that backwards.  X puts the keyboard device in "raw" mode
> on the VT it's using, and the kernel feeds *X* key events, not the other
> way around.
>
> > Ctrl-Option-Fx works as it should from a console, but from the X
> > screen it does nothing.
>
> Well, does CTRL-APPLE/BUCKY-Fx work instead?  Maybe somebody screwed up
> the keymap on the X side.

You're correct in that it is the Ctrl-Apple-Fx key combination.  I was
just typing from memory (i.e not really where my fingers were).
Neither Ctrl-Apple-Fx nor Ctrl-Option-Fx work.

Here is the situation using the same 2.2.20 kernel on potato and woody.

Potato - Ctrl-Apple-Fx works on text console and X
Woody - Ctrl-Apple-Fx works on text console, does nothing on X.

> On PowerMacs, at the console you have to type BUCKY-Fx to switch
> consoles, but X works as documented (that is, CTRL-ALT/OPTION-Fx).
>
> You can always use xev to determine what the X server thinks the pressed
> keys are.

Interesting, xev shows that the left apple key is mapped the same as the
right alt key and the right apple key is mapped the same as the left alt
key.  I'm no expert on X but perhaps this will elicit a solution from
someone.