Re: V3 Amiga install problem - update

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 08:03:03PM +0100, Aled wrote:
> Steve
>

> > Now I have a question.
> >
> > My ISP kicks me off after 2 hours online, forcing a reconnection. I know
> > that dselect can recover from this, but since downloads are likely to be
> > very large using a dial up connection, I won't get them in one go. Is
> > there anyway to automate the reconnect/resume/fix process so that I can,
> > for example, leave the system overnight unattended to get everything (bear
> > in mind I'm on the base system at the moment - no X windows, gui or fancy
> > utils, yet)
>
> i have the same problem with my system, this is how i got round it-

That does not save him from getting up every two hours to reconnect...
I'd say get a CD, or use diald:

 Many sites use SLIP or PPP links to connect to other sites over phone
 lines. Normally these links must be explicitly turned on or off.
 diald can be used to bring a SLIP or PPP link up when there are
 Internet packets to be sent to another site, and to close the link
 down when it is idle.

Disclaimer: I never used it, a long time ago when I was still used a
(win)modem, I was not cut off, at least not every two hours.

Christian