Re: PowerBook 520c

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 09:27:48AM +0100, Sacred Eagle wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I just received an old Mac PowerBook 520c and I wonder if it is at all possible to install Debian on it?
> It doesn't have a CD device so have to make a floppy install. I've downloaded all the Debian (Potato) images (floppy) for PowerPC but I want to know if there is someone here who has done this before.Any advice/warnings before I make a go for it?

According to my ancient Apple Spec chart, the 520c is a 68LC040 with a
maximum of 36MB memory and a 240MB or 320MB hard disk (does that take
you back or what? -- you could pay extra for an optional 80MB extra!).

Anyway, potato would be a better choice for this machine, woody may be
too memory and disk intensive. But you need the m68k images, not
powerpc. You will need to leave MacOS on the machine, because m68k
can't boot on its own; so that means your hard drive will need to be
shared between a minimal MacOS and a minimal Linux. You'll need at
least 100MB for Linux, that's probably not enough for an X server
though.

I'm forwarding to debian-68k to see if anyone else has comments.