Re: PROBLEM: No stable m68k machine anymore

on 11/2/01 4:03 PM using moldy cheese branden@debian.org engraved this
message

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:37:58PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
>> Does anybody know of specific Macs that I should go for if I have a
>> choice?  It's quite possible that there will be a decent selection to
>> pick from, and I don't know anything about Linux on m68k Macs.  Is there
>> anything in particular that I should avoid?
>
> I'd go for a Quadra 840AV or a Quadra 950.  Those were the fastest m68k
> Macs ever made.  There are some models with definite problems, though,
> so I'd consult this list before picking up just anything.
>
> Also, a lot of the earlier Macs aren't supported at all because they
> didn't have processors with memory management units.  I think this
> includes all of the compact Macs (the "fishtank" ones), except for the
> SE/30 (I know the SE/30 works, but there may be others that do).

actually the Q800 and the Q650 were faster than the Q950 although all three
machines used a 33Mhz 68040 the Q800/Q650 used faster memory and could use
memory interleaving... but the 840av was the fastest non-ppc mac made...
i personally would suggest any of the four machines with emphises on the
Q800 and Q650 (these machines had identical m/b's...) but i am not a linux
expert by any stretch of the imagination....

sloopy.