Re: PROBLEM: No stable m68k machine anymore

[Followups trimmed - probably not of direct interest to anyone outside
the m68k list]

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:37:58PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> Does anybody know of specific Macs that I should go for if I have a
> choice?  It's quite possible that there will be a decent selection to
> pick from, and I don't know anything about Linux on m68k Macs.  Is there
> anything in particular that I should avoid?

Definitely one with a real 68040 processor, not a 68LC040. 72-pin
SIMMs instead of 30-pin, too (easier to boost up the RAM). Quadra 800
series fits this bill. The Quadra 900 series are monstrous, and take
up to 16 30-pin SIMMs -- the 30-pin limitation might not be a problem
if you fill up all 16 slots with reasonably sized SIMMs.

www.lowendmac.com has specs on all those old systems.

However, I still keep my old SE/30 around for shows. Draws the people
in like a geek train wreck. "Nope, we didn't code a delay into the
output code; the framebuffer is really that slow."

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu