RE: Trouble Floppy Booting an MVME167

I performed detailed test booting with changes to four parameters.
First, here are all the parameters.

                                  Floppy Types and Formats
IOT Parameter           DSDD5    PCXT8    PCXT9    PCXT9_3   PCAT   PS2   SHD

Sector Size:
0-128 1-256 2-512
3-1024 4-2048 5-4096      1        2         2        2         2    2     2

Block Size:
0-128 1-256 2-512
3-1024 4-2048 5-4096      1        1         1        1         1    1     1

Sectors/Track            10        8         9        9         F    12    24

Number of Heads           2        2         2        2         2     2     2

Number of
Cylinders                50       28        28       50        50    50    50

Precomp. Cylinder        50       28        28       50        50    50    50

Reduced Write
Current Cylinder         50       28        28       50        50    50    50

Step Rate Code            0        0         0        0         0     0     0

Single/Double
DATA Density              D        D         D        D         D     D     D

Single/Double
TRACK Density             D        D         D        D         D     D     D

Single/Equal_in_all
Track Zero Density        S        E         E        E         E     E     E

Slow/Fast Data Rate       S        S         S        S         F     F     F

The parameters were initially set according to the DSDD5 setting.
I am quite sure that some old Mtool utilities were used successfully at this setting.
Perhaps these tools ignored the above parameters.
The initial setting allowed a successful load of the first stage kernel.
However, during the load of the second stage kernel, system call reads didn't really read.

Four changes were required to change to the PS2 setting:

Sector Size            256 to 512
Sectors/Track           10 to  12
Track Zero Density  Single to Equal
Data Rate             Slow to Fast

All four changes were apparently required, since changing any three always failed.

If booting was attempted with the four changes except either the sector size,
the track zero density, or the data rate, then the booting failed in a manner
like the initial setting.  That is, there was a successful load of the first stage kernel.
Oddly, inspection of the parameters after a boot attempt with no change to the data rate,
but with the other three changes, revealed that the data rate parameter was somehow changed from
S to F and the sectors per track parameter was somehow changed from 12 to 0F.

If booting was attempted with the four changes except either the sectors per track,
then the booting failed to load the first stage kernel.
That is, this setting was worse than the initial setting.