Re: BogoMIPs rating too high?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 08:43:37PM +0000, Lee Elliott wrote:

> GH>> the
> GH>> Bogo(us)MIPs rating I get from my 68060/50 seem unreasonably high
> GH>> at
> GH>> 99.something.  Other figures I've seen are 21.24 for a 68040/33 and
> GH>> 399.something for a PPC-G3/400.  I'm assuming that the BogoMIP
> GH>> rating
Calibrating delay loop... 99.74 BogoMIPS

> GH>> is used for timings of some sort and was wondering what the effects
> GH>> might be if the figure I'm getting is inaccurate.  Any thoughts
> GH>> anyone?
Why dont you look at the source for a place where it is used? I think its
only used in the kernel, not in userspace. The kernel list should know more.

> very well.  I was thinking that if the BogoMIP rating was inaccurate
> (too high) then things might be timing out before they should be.  The
> kernel however, seems to remain quite unperturbed and stable through
> all this (and other bad behaviour I throw at it) but I would expect
> timing problems there too.
Look at the FAQ, it might be explained there. I only have a slink copy here,
it only mentions some ataris which have problems with too high bogomips.

But remember, its BogoMIPS, not MIPS. I think this rating only proves that
m68k processors are designed better than i386 processors, we do an infinite
loop in just under 20 seconds...

Christian