Re: BogoMIPs rating too high?

On 6 Apr 2000, Lee Elliott wrote:
> Date: 6 Apr 2000 19:44:52 -0000
> To: debian-68k@lists.debian.org
> From: Lee Elliott <LeeE@spatial.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: BogoMIPs rating too high?
>
> Hello List,
>
> I've noticed, from postings to this and the Debian-user lists, that
> the
> Bogo(us)MIPs rating I get from my 68060/50 seem unreasonably high
> at
> 99.something.  Other figures I've seen are 21.24 for a 68040/33 and
> 399.something for a PPC-G3/400.  I'm assuming that the BogoMIP
> rating
> is used for timings of some sort and was wondering what the effects
> might be if the figure I'm getting is inaccurate.  Any thoughts
> anyone?

I don't know how much diff there is between that cpu running ados,
and that cpu running at the linux boot phase,  but there is a program
called Mips for the 060's, and it is normally quite close to 80 mips
by that utility.

Don't forget that in addition to running twice as fast as an 040
normally runs, which would give a 40ish rating, the 060 also has dual
execution units, again doubling its speed to the 80 area.

Getting 99 sounds like maybe that board has been overclocked, or the
bogomips test really isn't that comparable.  Overclocking to around
63 mhz would get about that speed.

--
Cheers, Gene