Re: boot floppies on the mac

> I downloaded rootmac.bin rescuemac.bin macdrivers.tgz base2_2.tgz linuxmac
>
> I renamed macdrivers.tgz and macrescue.bin to drivers.tgz and rescue.bin
> and put on the hfs partition

You'll have to create a particular set of subdirectories on your HFS
partiton:

debian/-+ (base2_2.tgz goes here)

	+- mac/-+ (drivers.tgz here)

		+- images-1.44/ (rescue.bin

> I set the kernel(penguin 17) to linuxmac and ram disk to rootmac.bin and
> changed
> root=/dev/ram(leaving in place the default options that came with slink
> other then that)
> i booted
> threw me into the installer, went through all the steps fine until install
> kernel and modules stage.  Initially i wanted to test the network.  It
> could not configure dhcp, and when i mnaually entered the info it still
> didn't work.  my theory: the computer didn't have a built in ehternet
> orginally but does have one in the nubus slot #4.  I'm guessing that eth0
> doens't look to slot #4.  anyway, anyone know how i could check that?

Check the boot messages.

> I went ahead and told the installer to get the stuff from the hfs
> partition, that actually worked without a hitch(1st time that has *ever*
> happened for me on *any* mac system ppc or m68k)  Anyway, when it came to
> configuring the modules it listed all the modules, but would give an error
> no matter what module i chose(i have this written down somewhere, but
> right now i have more important things to do, like recovering a crashed
> hard drive on my g3 :/).  I think the error was something like root
> doesn't have permsion or is not owner for /lib/<module> or *something like
> that*  I'll try to get more details later.  Anyway the rest fo the install

That'll be the same error as the one I had with the Atari stuff - we need
a chown -R root.root lib/modules/ here as well, Christian.

I'm amazed that it goes so well on a Q950.