Re: glibc_2.2-6 available

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 08:17:21AM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, I'm feeling daring. Should I download all of the glibc packages on the
> glibc page you have set up? After I've done that, how do I test it?
Its already installed since a week, so you don't have to test it anymore.
If you run current unstable, you should have all the packages already.

What to download/install: depends on what you want to test. libc6 obviously.
The rest depends on what you already have installed, on what you want to do.
I have libc6-dev and -pic installed as well, maybe locales. But you do want
to test lib6 if you want to test anything.

How do I test: install it (you know how?) and see if your system still
works, if it reboots properly (my first test resulted in an unusable sytem
after reboot, no tty would start, which left the system in a pretty useless
state. quite interesting to get that into a usable state again).
I don't think there are special torture tests, if you can compile and run,
say, xfree with the new libc6, things should be fine.

Are you sure you are the right one for this testing?
If all goes well, you wont notice any difference. If things go wrong, you
can have a hard time to make your system work again, I had to cross-install
with my spare system. But since some mac guys reported success and since its
running fine for me since some time, I do not think its worse than the
previous release. Besides, with the new debian pools, its in testing now,
just the right place for testing packages :-)

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato