Re: Installing over Ethernet on Mac Quadra 660av

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> I have been trying to install on a Mac Quadra 660av. I can't seem to
> find the right driver to install to take advantage of the ethernet
> connection. There isn't one clearly labelled and I have a dsl
> connection.
>
> I previously tried to make a copy of the ISO image of a CD but it
> behaves strangely. So I followed the various instructions in the FAQ
> etc. and started up an install with the idea of installing of the
> Internet since I have a full time connection. But the installer is not
> cooperating.
>
> I did pick a bunch of networking modules and installed them so I could
> put in my IP and Name SErver etc. But the ethernet port still isn't
> being recognized.

The AV Macs use MACE Ethernet which does not work in the kernel supplied
with Debian Potato.

Andrew McPherson posted the following links to the
linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org mailing list a few days back.  These are
supposed to contain beta drivers for MACE Ethernet.

ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/vmlinux-2.2.16-102600.gz
ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/vmlinux-2.4.0test9-102600.gz
ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/modules-2.2.16-102600.tar.gz
ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/modules-2.4.0t9-102600.tar.gz

Note:  I don't have a system with MACE Ethernet, but others have posted
with some success using the 2.2.16 kernel.  2.4.X still has other issues
is probably only for the brave and experienced.

--
Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org