Re: install prob: "unable to open initial console" on A4000

Hi Christian,

here now the promised update for the mailing list:

The "unable to open an initial console" was not the problem. I could solve
it by just copying the /dev/console from my old Redhat installation over
the debian´s.

However, it still hang. I identified the program dbootstrap as the one which
was blocking the system.

I disassembled and re-assembled my machine part by part, I removed the RAM,
took another processor card etc., and finally the oktagon controller proved
to be "guilty" of stopping dbootstrap.  I had an oktagon controller in a
Zorro slot, because I use it sometimes for my scanner.
I do not know, why dbootstrap  hangs. I had the idea, that it might be
probing for devices on the oktagon, but it did not recover even after 15-20
minutes, and I have not been patient enough to try it for hours ;-)

So no idea.

Well, at least, it works now.

But the net problem will come soon.... ;-)

Regards
--
                Oliver

Dr. Oliver Muth