Re: Potato Installation Report

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 10:39:02PM -0500, Alan wrote:

> > modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-66
> > modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-67
> > modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-68
> >
> > these messages are then repeated but interleaved with
> >
> > /dev/ttyS2 is not configured
> > /dev/ttyS3 is not configured
> > /dev/ttyS5 is not configured
> >
> > I am not sure if any of this is crucial and so far does not seem to have
> > any ill effects
>
> I noticed a similar set of messages when I ran the installation on my
> Amiga 3000, but did not get a chance to write down the exact messages.
> No noticable ill affects.
They are not crucial, but I don't think removing the devs is the recommended
way to turn this off. See /etc/modules.conf  and write "off" after alias you
dont want to load. Better, read the conf file, it says you should not edit
it, but look in /etc/modutils instead and edit the apprpriate file.

> So I tried the default install script for the amifb, but only ended up
> with a gray display. The machine was working OK, since I could see disk
> activity after keyboard entries. Did get this to work OK by adding
> "video=cyber:off" to the boot options to turn off any use of the CV64
> board for display.
What kind of machine do you have? AGA with an OCS monitor? Please see the
ocsecsaga.readme.txt or whatever I called it. If your machine is capable of
higher resolutions than your monitor, you have to explicitely tell the
booter what video mode to use, ie video=pal.lace or whatever. I did not want
to create icons for all special cases, it would have been a mess and I had
forgotten several anyway. Thats what the readmy is good for just below the
startinstall :-)

> I also noticed while working out the above issues that the clgen driver
> tried to do something several times, even though I don't have one of
> those boards. Sorry, but I was not able to get the exact message since
> it flashed by very quickly and I don't think it showed up in the boot
> logs. If I added the option "video=clgen:off" it was not displayed.
> Anyone who knows the driver detection code for this board may want to
> check this out.
Last weekend I demonstrated a debian install on an A4k with PIV board. It
worked very nicely, but I found the debug messages very annoying, ie when
you switch the console, you get some debug output all over your screen.
Interesting but quite ugly. If I had such a board at home, I would have
complained long ago...
I think on my CV3D system the code is only called once during the boot, says
no board found and quits.

Christian