Re: Potato Installation Report

Mark Scott wrote:

> So far Potato seems pretty stable but I still see mod probe error messages
> at startup.  I have looked in all the log files I can find and the logs
> stop after the swap space has been initialised.  Is there anywhere else I
> should look to find any more logs other than /var/log.
>
> Anyway I wrote the messages down so here they are.
>
> modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-66
> modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-67
> modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-68
>
> these messages are then repeated but interleaved with
>
> /dev/ttyS2 is not configured
> /dev/ttyS3 is not configured
> /dev/ttyS5 is not configured
>
> I am not sure if any of this is crucial and so far does not seem to have
> any ill effects

I noticed a similar set of messages when I ran the installation on my
Amiga 3000, but did not get a chance to write down the exact messages.
No noticable ill affects.

I also have a CV64 board in my machine and ran into some issues with it.
Trying the install script for the CV64, I ended up with a bad display
that was unreadable. It looked like there was a mismatch between the
display width and framebuffer width, which makes the horizontal pixel
lines shift around the display by the offset. Not sure if this was the
kernel or maybe my monitor. Need to do some more testing.

So I tried the default install script for the amifb, but only ended up
with a gray display. The machine was working OK, since I could see disk
activity after keyboard entries. Did get this to work OK by adding
"video=cyber:off" to the boot options to turn off any use of the CV64
board for display.

I also noticed while working out the above issues that the clgen driver
tried to do something several times, even though I don't have one of
those boards. Sorry, but I was not able to get the exact message since
it flashed by very quickly and I don't think it showed up in the boot
logs. If I added the option "video=clgen:off" it was not displayed.
Anyone who knows the driver detection code for this board may want to
check this out.

Alan Bair