Re: Linux on PPC upgrades? [060 upgrades?]

Wow, look at all the mess I started :)

Anyway, a new idea and question for you brainies.  I see alot of upgrades for
older 680x0 based machines, some use special cards, others plug into sockets,
most have extra features (and the only ones that seem to plug into sockets
are for the 68000, the rest are meant for a special bus card).

So, here's the question.  I have found a socket adaptor for plugging in a
68060 into a 68040 socket.  Do you guys think it will work?  Linux + upgrade
might make this old box really scream, although I have no clue what a 68060
CPU goes for these days.  Anyone know?  Since the 68040 requires a PCLK that
is double speed (or twice BCLK) and the 68060 does not, will a 68060 plugged
into a socket where a 68040/25 once sat run at 50Mhz with a 25Mhz bus?  That
would be too easy if it worked .. what am I missing?

This time, I can assume there is no portability problems with linux running
on a 68060 if it ran on the same box that had the 68040 right?  There is no
MMU code differences or anything weird correct?