Re: hi all - mac performa 637cd linux?

John:

Slink is the current stable version of Debian
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/

You can find the newest working version at
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato. This has newer and better
features.

>From experience, I'll spare you about a month of headaches, I'll suggest
that it may be impossible to use the 68LC040 (stands for low cost or as I
would say Lousy Chip: it has no built in FPU) chip on any Linux version. I
came pretty close with the Potato though. Went through the initial startup
phase fine and I rebooted. Reset the command line option to root=/dev/sdb3.
It booted fine until the inetd: internet superserver started up. Then the
screen told me something about initd was respawning too fast. Kept on
repeating the same message. I popped in the 68040 chip to replace the
68LC040 and, amazingly enough, it worked fine. I know that FPU emulation is
built into the slink and the Potato kernel. But to this date, I haven't
succeeded in getting it work on any of my macs without an FPU. Don't know of
anybody else who has either. Apreciate them writing FPU emulation into the
kernel for the Mac. Maybe if they had a Mac at debian to use, they could
debug this problem.

Subject: Re: hi all - mac performa 637cd linux?