Re: Install question

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 08:58:25PM +0200, Russell Hires wrote:
> Okay, I've run out of disk space. 400 MB isn't enough to download 126 MB of
> .deb install files, unpack and install on a 419.8 MB /root partition.
>
> In the installer, when it presents you with "simple" or "advanced", I choose
> simple. What happens next? Where do the downloaded .deb files go? I want to
probably /var/cache/apt/archives
> move them from where ever they are now to a second disk I have that's about
> 163 MB, so maybe I can use that temporarily for the install. BTW, how much
> compression does a .deb file have anyway? About half the size of the
depends on the deb. But AFAIK each deb contains information how much space
it needs. This leads to:
 0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
 Need to get 0B/199kB of archives. After unpacking 614kB will be used.
 Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
so you can see exactly what you need (using dselect, the "advanced" tool,
tasksel, the "simple" tool doesnt say this I think).

> Once the first problem is solved (moving the .deb files off my main
> partition/disk), the second one is how to cause the install to continue,
> because it has stopped when it ran out of disk space. :-\
Just install one by one, or go in /var/cache/apt/archives
and do dpkg -i *.deb (not recommended). If you want to continue,
installation, just run tasksel or dselect to (de)install packages.

Christian