Install question

Okay, I've run out of disk space. 400 MB isn't enough to download 126 MB of
.deb install files, unpack and install on a 419.8 MB /root partition.

In the installer, when it presents you with "simple" or "advanced", I choose
simple. What happens next? Where do the downloaded .deb files go? I want to
move them from where ever they are now to a second disk I have that's about
163 MB, so maybe I can use that temporarily for the install. BTW, how much
compression does a .deb file have anyway? About half the size of the
unpacked software? A quarter? I figured I should have enough space on my
computer for this, but obviously not.

Once the first problem is solved (moving the .deb files off my main
partition/disk), the second one is how to cause the install to continue,
because it has stopped when it ran out of disk space. :-\

Thanks in advance!

Russell
_its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
_it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"