Re: apt-error

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 12:20:55PM -0500, Jim Ziegler wrote:

> I have a similar problem with mvme167.  Ftp'd slink boot disks, base, etc.
> Set up to use tftp from an i86 Debian system.  Boot went ok, install
> of boot disks and base system went ok.  Skipped dselect step.
> Did not update sources.list so they are as supplied on the base system.
> Did apt-get update, all ok.  Did apt-get upgrade, apt and dpkg were
> upgraded.  After which apt-get <update!install!upgrade> segfaults.
>
> Reinstalled whole system, did dselect, did apt-get update, did
> apt-get dselect-upgrade, all went ok.  Now apt-get <update|
> install|upgrade> segfaults.
So you had an apt with slink that worked (from the CDs?) and upgraded that
one with another apt (from stable-updates maybe?) and that segfaults?
Well, dont upgrade apt then... put it on hold in dselect.
If you find the problem and have a patch, we could make a new package for
slink, but I wont investigate slink bugs now, with potato on my mind. If you
want to run slink, just dont upgrade apt.
If you want to upgrade apt, upgrade to potato (apt-get dist-upgrade).
Yeah, I know packages in stable should be working... in my eyes potato is
stable, sorry, I dont use slink anymore, if I am not forced to recompile
(read recompile, not find and fix bugs in an outdated distribution).

Christian